July 28, 2011

Chasing Tale (Digital Edition) July 28, 2011: Ray Banks, Lee Goldberg, Layton Green ...

There are a few reasons I enjoy reading novellas. One reason is that they're just long enough to read off a computer screen without that feeling my eyeballs are going to melt--especially since I spend so much time in a day looking at a computer screen anyway. Another reason is that they are idyllic for a quiet evening, or if you're going to be someplace doing next to nothing for an hour or two (hospital waiting rooms spring to mind).

And another added bonus is that novellas are a great length for testing out new authors. Like that novella by Tom Piccirilli I reviewed a couple days ago, Every Shallow Cut. If you've never read his work before, that is a great place to start, because it's a superb story and will take you no time at all to read it.

Some folks love those giant moose-stunner novels. You know the ones. The kind of books, especially the hardcovers, that feel like you're reading stone tablets. They're not my cup of tea, though they'd probably be more palatable with an e-reader. But, for me, I'm turning into a novella lover more and more. I downloaded a couple of them this past month, and I've found they sneak their way up the reading pile quicker than novel length works.

Let's take a look:

Gun by Ray Banks - Right after the Fourth of July weekend, I started seeing a few authors on Twitter hyping the availability of a free novella called Gun. Free is in my price range, so I got myself a copy from Ray. I get the feeling it's about a gun, but I could be wrong.

Jinn Nation by Caroline Barnard-Smith - Caroline asked if I'd care to take part in her blog tour, which will be swinging by this blog in mid-August, as well as review her new dark fantasy novel. I'm still bogged down in review commitments, but she was generous enough to offer a review copy anyway. It may be 2012 by the time I read it, though.

Zoo City by Lauren Beukes - I was trolling through the Kindle Store last week and stumbled across Lauren's novel, which was being promoted by Amazon's The Big Deal promotion. Only 99 cents at the time for an award-winning title. Eff yeah.

Die Lover Die by Lee Goldberg - Lee sent me one of his novelettes for review. It's a ten thousand word powder keg by the looks of it, so it ought to make for a fun evening some time late in the summer. It's associated with the Top Suspense group I've seen Lee and other authors promoting this year. Not a bad way to get the word out.

The Egyptian by Layton Green - Green's previous novel, The Summoner, was one of those novels I didn't expect to enjoy quite as much as I did. So, Layton has provided me with a review copy of its sequel. The review for this one ought to appear in late August, presumably, but don't hold me to that.

Peter the Wolf by Zoe E. Whitten - Zoe seems like the kind of author who enjoys quirk. She's written zombie erotica, even a pair of novellas through Belfire Press called The Life and Death of a Sex Doll. Not too sure what this dark fantasy is about, but I'll bet there's some quirk to it.

How about you? Do you have a preference on story length? Anything good that you've downloaded recently that you would recommend to a guy like me?


  1. Cool picks, dude! Hope you enjoy reading them! :-) Enjoying the long weekend? What are you reading atm? I just finished "Bleed" by Ed Kurts--couldn't freakin' put it down. Amazing! Now onto "Tattered Tales II" which so far is great!


  2. Right now I'm reading Teresa Frohock's Miserere, which is a blend of history fantasy with some horror elements thrown in. Also, Layton Green's The Egyptian, and a graphic novel: Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows Book 1, which is an easy read because it's all comic strip length stuff.

    I gotta get that Ed Kurtz novel, everyone seems to love it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...