June 13, 2011

Getting Graphic: "Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together" (Vol. 4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Vol. 4)
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Oni Press (2007)
ISBN-13: 9781932664492
ISBN-10: 1932664491

Here I go again with another Scott Pilgrim adventure, but now I'm reading the graphic novels after having seen the movie. So now, I'll be reading the rest of the series with that whole saw-the-movie-first attitude, which can be a bit of a dampener. Did it dampen my reading experience with this book, though?

Firstly, the book starts with a few color pages, which I don't recall seeing in the first three graphic novels I read. I'm so used to the homey monochromatic feel of the books, it was actually a little jarring. But I gotta say that Scott Pilgrim looks great as a color comic book--too bad it only lasts a few pages.

Scott is still with Ramona and things are going fine relationship wise. Sure, he's still on edge about the rest of the evil exes he has to defeat, but he's rolling with the punches ... literally. Things aren't rosy for long, as Wallace informs him they have to contend with their landlord, the band Sex Bob-omb must work on its first record, Scott gets his first job, some guy with a samurai sword is trying to slice Scott in half, and he reunites with an old friend from high school, Lisa Miller, who ... complicates things with Ramona.

I thought this book played out a bit more episodically than the first three, with situations cropping up chapter by chapter as if each was a sitcom episode. At any rate, the humor remained intact, and the kick-ass fight scenes too, replete with snarky one-liners.

My favorite part of the book is still Scott, though. Why? I think it's the fact that he is a good person at heart, but he's self-possessed and clueless as hell. He reminds me of me.

O'Malley brings more of the same goodness with his artwork, shining through especially with scenes like Ramona's fight with one of her exes, Scott's close call with Lisa, and the group discussions at Sneaky Dee's.

The seeds were planted for the last two books, as well, so I'm looking forward to finishing off the series this summer. If you haven't read this series of books before, you'll really ought to give it a chance because it is just too charming to ignore.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...