June 7, 2011

Chasing Tale in May: China Mieville, Tom Piccirilli, Kalayna Price ...

About a week ago I highlighted the e-books I'd acquired in May. Those weren't the only books I got, though. I ended up receiving a bunch of paperbacks that are now on my to-be-read pile. Maybe I should preface this blog post with a voice-over like: This week on Hoarders. Ah well, I make no apologies. I mean, whoever heard of such a thing as too many books. And it's terribly easy on the wallet when the books come courtesy of giveaways and markdowns. The economy ain't out of the woods yet, so cheap books are more than welcome.

Serial by Jack Kilborn & Blake Crouch - This is a signed limited edition chapbook in won in a giveaway through The Man Eating Bookworm, courtesy of Peter Leonard's Blake Crouch Week event. It even came with four pieces of artwork by Jeroen ten Berge associated with the book, which was an added treat.
Available via: Amazon

The Beardless Warriors by Richard Matheson - I won a book giveaway courtesy of the Lucky Ladybug a few weeks back, where I got won $10 worth of books via Book Depository. The book I chose was a preorder, and I had a little over four bucks left, so I went fishing for familiar names and found a couple of Matheson titles published by Tor. I dug the idea of this revamped edition of an early novel, which had apparently been edited terribly back in the day, and this was a renewed edition. If nothing else, it's still Matheson.
Available via: Amazon / Book Depository

Kraken by China Mieville - What's a good hook for a novel? How about a giant squid? I mentioned in Wish List Wednesday #70 how I wanted to read this book, based almost entirely on that fact alone. It also helps that I've read and heard nothing but praise for Mieville's novels, so I'm quite interested to see how this book shapes up. Thanks to Melinda at Single Country Gal for mailing this one out to me, as well for sending me ...
Available via: Amazon / Book Depository

Every Shallow Cut by Tom Piccirilli - The second book I received from Melinda is this heavily touted novella from Chizine Publications, which I mentioned in Wish List Wednesday #97. One draw is that it's Piccirilli. Another is that the protagonist has a pet bulldog named Churchill. I love dogs. 'Nuff said.
Available via: Amazon / Book Depository

Grave Witch by Kalayna Price - It was only a month ago that I had mentioned this novel in Wish List Wednesday #96, so it might be record time that I add this book to my shelf. I'm not sure what other horror aficionados think of the urban fantasy genre, but I kind of dig it. Jaye Wells and Nancy Holzner have entertained me with their UF tales, so I'm interested to see what Kalayna Price brings to the dance.
Available via: Amazon / Book Depository

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson - I reviewed Ronson's The Men Who Stare at Goats last year and found it to be a funny and surprisingly in-depth read. Now, he has a new book out this year, and Celia over at Adventureswith Cecelia Bedelia was kind enough to send me her advance review copy--thanks, Celia! If he tackles psychopaths the way he did psi-ops training in the military, this should be really good.
Available via: Amazon / Book Depository


And that's what's on my shelf. What cool reads have you snatched up lately?

7 comments:

  1. I picked up Kraken to read recently too. I'm a huge hoarder and get excited buying books and then don't read them for months, years even, but I do intend to read every single one of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I ordered Robopocolypse, The Informationist, and Carte Blache (the new James Bond).

    I'm looking forward to all those. I also recently bought Savages by Don Winslow and Money Shot by Christa Faust.

    Should be a fun summer of reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice prizes, Fox! I would start with "Every Shallow Cut" as I think you'll really like it and it's a quick read.

    Cheers!
    Darkeva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter - I've heard of Robopocalypse, but not Informationist (sounds sci-fi thriller-ish). Who wrote the new Bond book?

    Darkeva - Yeah, I'll probably dive into that one first out of that bunch. Too many rave reviews for it not to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried reading Kraken but could not get into it. I loved King Rat, but everything else I've tried to read by Mieville has been just too bizarre for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bradley - I enjoy bizarre every now and then, though I have trouble with bizarro fiction. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete