April 20, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #95: Dan Simmons' "Drood"

Last year, I had the good fortune to read Black Hills by Dan Simmons and was so thoroughly impressed by the novel I proclaimed it my favorite of 2010. It was my first time reading his work and I am eager to read more, but with so much on my reading list at the moment, his name has fallen a bit to the wayside.

One of his novels that I absolutely want to read, however, is his historical tale of Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins, Drood. Told through the eyes of Wilkie Collins, its a somewhat re-imagined tale of Dickens' final days and the unfinished manuscript he was working on.

I guess this novel appeals to me so much because I am a huge fan of Dickens' works Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol. A fictionalized version of the fame author, told by such an accomplished storyteller like Simmons is one I am certain to enjoy.

Have you read it by any chance? Did you like it? Are you a Dickens fan as well?

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this one during my lunch breaks at work--which amounts to 20 minutes or so a day, so it's going to take a while to get through it. So far, though, it's fantastic! Full of creepy imagery, kooky characters, underground cities, and the titular DROOD, who is something like a mystical Coffin Joe (at least in my imagination). I'm definitely going to look into more of this author's work when I've finished with this one.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Drood in January 2010 and it has been one of my top reads in 2010.

    Maybe you would like to read my review of Drood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonny - Yeah, I've got Song of Kali on my wish list too, which is supposed to be a phenomenal debut novel from Simmons.

    Edi - Thanks for the link. Checked it out and it was definitely a nice review, and further cements my want of the book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...