April 6, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #93: Ekaterina Sedia's "The House of Discarded Dreams"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Last year, I read and reviewed an urban fantasy novel of sorts called The Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia. Since then, I've had Sedia's name on my list of authors to watch for, and one of her new novels sounds like it could be another real treat to read.


The House of Discarded Dreams, published by Prime Books, is about an African-American college kid who movies into a house populated by a bunch of figures from African folklore and urban legends. Sounds like fun to me, though I'm sure there's plenty to go awry in this novel. The pitch-line for it even sounds a little like another book on my wish list, Marie Phillips' Gods Behaving Badly, except that one had Greek gods bandying about in a London backdrop.


At any rate, I've got this novel and a couple other books with Sedia's name on the cover on my wish list. Have you read any of her work? If so, what title, and what did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment