March 9, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #89: Joe R. Lansdale's "Devil Red"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.


I recently had the chance to cross Savage Season off my wish list, the first "Hap & Leonard" novel by Joe R. Lansdale. You can expect a review of it sometime down the road. But, now that I have read it, I have an appetite for more. And wouldn't you know he has a new adventure with the two men out now.


In Devil Red, the two east Texas ruffians turned investigators take on a cold case of an unsolved murder. Turns out it deals with some kind of vampire cult and they soon end up fighting for their lives.


Now, this sounds like a much different book from Savage Season, but if it has the same great kinds of characters and pace that the first book had, then I think I'm going to really enjoy this one. It's the eighth book in the series though, and I wonder just how much I'm going to be missing out on if I skip the other six and go right to this one.


Opinions?

6 comments:

  1. I read one of his books, but didn't love it, so I'd love to hear your opinion about any of his others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for this one. Any Lansdale is a good Lansdale, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first handful of Hap & Leonard books, my faves being SAVAGE SEASON and MUCHO MOJO. Read another that was just okay and then lost touch with his output. The one-off crime novel COLD IN JULY is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fox,
    I've been trying to get into Landsdale lately and vampire cult murder mystery sounds like a good place to start :-) Do you have a favourite Landsdale book?

    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Midnyte - I have a review of Freezer Burn on the blog somewhere, and I have a review of Savage Season coming up in a few weeks.

    Peter - I'm inclined to agree.

    Will - Cold in July. I'll have to look that up later on.

    Darkeva - I've only read two of his novels so far, but of those two I'd say Freezer Burn just because it was so damned different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a lot of fun reading this book. It made me laugh out loud, and also made me tear up (in the most manly way possible).

    Outstanding work Mr. Lansdale. I look forward to the next.

    Mariz
    Visit Site

    ReplyDelete