March 24, 2011

On My Radar: #BoycottDorchester

Do you buy books from Dorchester Publishing?

If you do, you may want to reconsider. In what can only be described as shamefully unsettling news, several authors who were at one time or another associated with Dorchester, namely Leisure Books imprint, are not being paid for their work. And this has been going on for months on end.

I won't bother going into the details of it, but you can visit Brian Keene's blog where you will learn many disheartening facts over how he and other authors are being treated in a reprehensible fashion. CLICK HERE.

I haven't purchased a book from Dorchester since I learned of the whole debacle back in July of last year. But, I am now resolute in never purchasing another Leisure title until they have done the right thing and paid the authors what they are due, stop publishing books they no longer have the rights to, and start working towards restoring the reputation of a once heralded publisher of dark fiction.

I wrote a letter to Dorchester earlier today, as encouraged in a blog post by Robert Swartwood, and it looked something like this. If you're so inclined, I'd encourage you to contact them as well and voice your opinion--hopefully in a civil manner, too.

Perhaps this is merely an echo of sentiments already expressed towards Dorchester (and more specifically Leisure Books), but as a voracious reader who has purchased Leisure Books titles in the past, including those by Briane Keene, Ray Garton, Richard Laymon, and Jack Ketchum, the unsettling controversy between Dorchester and disgruntled authors provokes me to send this e-mail.

I have had opportunity to read and review multiple titles that have been released under the Leisure Books banner, but I can not in good conscience offer any further support--whether it be through purchasing books or reviewing them--if the issues expressed by Brian Keene and many others are not diligently addressed and resolved. If authors have been told that they would receive their rights back and/or paid what is owed them, yet actions by Dorchester speak to the contrary, something is seriously wrong and paints a very damaging light on a once heralded and well-respected publisher.


I find it disheartening that a publisher which, in the past, provided me a wellspring of great novels has become what essentially appears to be a blight on the writing world.


I certainly hope for a happy ending to this otherwise sad situation.

Sincerely,


Gef Fox
I'm officially boycotting Dorchester Publishing. I don't normally hop on these boycott bandwagons, but in this case I'll make an exception.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I was ignorant to the goings-on until I read this, which pointed to me all the other posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with you more, Fox. Once I read the blog post from Keene, I immediately took to the ban, which is so unfortunate because they really have published some of the greatest horror writers, including Edward Lee, Briane Keene, J.F. Gonzales, etc. I'm glad you wrote to them to let them know that what they're doing is not good.

    Darkeva

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame. Authors should not have to worry about anyone stealing their work. Unfortunately pirating, bootlegging, and illegal internet trading (yes, this happens with books too...more than one might think) are probably not going away. But never, under any circumstances, should an author ever have to worry about a publisher stealing from them. It's reprehensible, really.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...