March 1, 2011

Chasing Tale in February: Maurice Broaddus, J.L. Bryan, Lee Goldberg ...

Between reading about authors having public meltdowns over negative book reviews, authors making classless appeals for book sales by citing illness and poverty, and authors sniping at one another over Twitter and their blogs, February felt like a weird month in the writing world. Maybe it's seasonal affective disorder. Let's hope for an early thaw.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've got some books to throw on my to-be-read pile. I don't know any of these authors very well, but I'm pretty sure I needn't worry about disparaging tirades from any of them if I happen to write a negative review of their work. I've had good luck in that department so far. You can kind of smell the crazy on the writers who have a more tenuous hold on reality--and their tempers--anyway, so I tend not to write reviews for their books. Acrimony and derisiveness work great for political pundits, but not so much for authors.

Here's my haul for February:

King's Justice by Maurice Broaddus - This is an ARC I received for the sequel of Broaddus' King Maker. I haven't read the first book, but I was assured that it's not necessary to get the gist of the story and I should be alright jumping right into this book. It's a continuation in what is a kind of urban fantasy with an Arthurian sensibility. It sounds very promising, and I've read plenty of praise for Broaddus' work already for his writing and his editing of the anthology Dark Faith, of which I've read a couple really good stories.


The Haunted E-Book and Dark Tomorrows (collection) by J.L. Bryan (e-books) - I won these electronic copies from Book'd Out as part of J.L. Bryan's blog tour. Hey, I'm a sucker for a haunting story, and the idea of a haunted e-book ain't bad as far as trying something new goes.


The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (novella) - I won a copy of this classic tale from Aaron Polson, author of Loathsome, Dark, & Deep, a book inspired by Conrad's classic work. I admittedly have never read this book, but I look forward to doing so now. I vaguely recall the film adaptation, but it's been years and years since I saw that, so when I get around to reading this it'll feel like a brand new story.


Dead Spell by Belinda Frisch - I received a Kindle edition of this new release from a debut author. A lot of people still shy away from independent authors, but I have been more and more open to the idea. I'm wary on what to read still, but I think this one deserves a chance.


Face of Evil (Dead Man #1) by Lee Goldberg & William Rabkin (e-book) - Lee Goldberg has come out with a new series of short action/adventure novels, akin to the bygone era of such novels from the 60s and 70s. In the series debut, he collaborates with Psych author, William Rabkin. Each subsequent novel will feature a new co-author. I've never read the work of Goldberg or Rabkin before, but the premise of a series that blends horror with adventure and other genre elements intrigues me.


Monstrous Affections by David Nickle (e-book) - As a Valentine's Day gift to readers, Chizine Publications gave away a couple of e-books for free. The one I managed to snag was this collection of stories from David Nickle, which garnered a fair amount of buzz last year. I'm really into shorter fiction this year, so this was a very cool treat, and one more reminder that I need to keep an eye on Chizine's catalog of titles.


52 Stitches by Aaron Polson (anthology) - Flash fiction is a bit of a hard sell with some folks, but I kind of dig it. Some stories can really pack a punch if they're handled right, and Aaron Polson has a collection of stories from various authors that are bound to impress. Actually, I've likely read quite a few of these already as it's a compilation of the best stories from the 52 Stitches website.

Apexology: Horror edited by Jason Sizemore - I like horror, that's no lie. So when I spied this anthology from Apex Books, featuring a slew of authors whose work I've either read and enjoyed or wanted to read, it was an easy decision. The cheap price point at the Kindle store didn't hurt either.


Devil Music by E.C. Stacy & Thia Myles Vincent (e-book) - A pulpy mix of horror and heavy metal, this book was one of two from the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers I had my eye on. I would have used my Barnes & Noble gift card to make a purchase, but--actually, the less I talk about B&N, the better. In any case, I have the e-book now, thanks to E.C. Stacy and RMFW.
So, what books did you add to your shelf this past month?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am new here and hope you will come follow me too! Have a beautiful day! :) Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you can finally read Heart of Darkness. Classic, essential stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Shauna.

    Adam, that it is. Gonna have to sneak it to the top of my reading pile some time. Should only take an evening to read.

    ReplyDelete