February 23, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #87: Novellas by Gary McMahon and Conrad Williams

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem. All February, I'm shining a light on novellas.

I've always loved the rain. So, to hear that Conrad Williams has a novella out called Rain, published in 2007, I'm interested. The cover is gorgeous with foreboding storm clouds over a picturesque French countryside. France is the setting, as a family moves into their new home, only to have things go horribly wrong all under a relentless downpour of rain. The copy I saw advertised on Amazon was going for around $60. For a little more than a hundred pages, that's really steep. Sufficed to say I'm keeping my eye out for a more affordable version.

Then there is The Harm by Gary McMahon. I've got Gary's novel Pretty Little Dead Things already on my wish list, but when I read about this novella on Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews, I threw it on the list as well. Where some stories about a violent trauma befalling young children might dwell on the act itself, The Harm apparently focuses on the aftermath and the adult lives of those children. So far as I know, it's out of print, but there is an electronic version still out there.

So, that's been February and some of the novellas that have caught my eye over the past year. They're great speedy reads, but finding hard copies is a sketchy process. Thankfully, e-books have made it a lot easier for novellas to break out. The last few months have afforded me the chance to read and review some really good ones.

Do you get to read many novellas? Have you by chance read either of these two? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...