February 9, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #85: Novellas by Douglas Clegg and Gabrielle Faust

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem. All February, I'm shining a light on novellas.

This week I'm highlighting two novellas which drew my attention initially by their covers. One offered a subtle enticement, while the other grabbed me by the throat.

Let's start with enticement, which leads to Isis by Douglas Clegg. It's a story that involves grief, family, and the occult with a bent towards Egyptian myth. The book, through Vanguard Press, features illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne, whose artwork I've come to appreciate through his work with Lisa Mannetti. It clocks in around 120 pages, and while I doubt I'd have the coin for the limited hardcover, there is a paperback release from 2009. And there's an electronic edition for all you Kindle nuts.

The second book is Regret by Gabrielle Faust. Dark Regions Press published this one and whoever did the cover did a bang up job. I'm a fan of Tremors, so that giant toothy worm bursting from the earth just holds my eyeballs hostage. The story revolves around Marcus Glenfield, who winds up becoming a Demon of Regret--his own demon, for that matter--and runs afoul of some truly vicious Demons in Hell. It sounds delightful in a very macabre way.

Have you ever read any work by Clegg or Faust? What's the verdict?

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by to tell you about a book giveaway.

    Giveaway for GREAT HOUSE by Nicole Krauss will begin on my blog on February 19th until February 23.

    I won’t be the only blog giving away books.

    Stop back on Saturday for the full post and giveaway form.

    Mark your calendars.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete