February 1, 2011

Chasing Tale in January: Camille Alexa, Mark A. Gunnells, Gregory L. Hall ...

Well, it finally happened. I made my first purchase on Amazon. I've been sitting on a gift code for months, but ordering a paperback was impossible and I couldn't download a Kindle book to my thumb drive. So, I had to wait until I got a used laptop on which to install Kindle for PC. I did some searching and found a book from Belfire Press, which has been very good to me this past year.

As for Amazon, I doubt I'll ever buy a physical book from them while Book Depository has free shipping.

It, and many of the acquisitions from this past month for that matter, arguably fall in the "Support The Little Guy" movement on Twitter, initiated by author Brandon Layng. If you don't know what that is, I invite you to go on Twitter some time and search the hashtag #supportthelittleguy and you'll get the idea.

Anyway, here are the books from this past month that were added to my shelf:

Push the Sky by Camille Alexa - I won this from the Red Penny Papers at the start of the new year. Always nice to win something, and I've enjoyed a fair bit of Camille's short fiction thus far, so I have a good feeling about this collection. Incidentally, we both have stories published in the Oz anthology, Shadows of the Emerald City. How 'bout that. It even came with a couple of handy-dandy bookmarks and a signed card from Camille. Aw shucks.

The Watcher by John Brinling - I received an electronic review copy of this thriller from the author. I was offered a choice of three titles, and of the three I thought this novel had the most appeal. Self-published authors can be hit or miss. I've read bad, yes, but I've read some good, good stuff too from the authors selling their own wares rather than through traditional publishing. The times, they are a changin', boys and girls. I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Soulless by Gail Carriger - I picked this one up at my local used-book store. On the inside cover was a scribbled note by a previous owner, asking anyone who reads this paperback to contact him-or-her so they can keep track on its travels. Cute. I've thought of doing that with books before, but I figure I'd lose interest in where the book winds up. I mean, I've given away books before, but never wondered after the fact where those books are now. To each their own.

Asylum by Mark Allan Gunnells (ARC, novella, e-book) - Harry Markov hit me up with a chance to check out this new novella through Apex Books' new imprint, The Zombie Feed, as well as interview Mark Allan Gunnells. You can find my review of the book here, and you can also read my interview with Mark by clicking here. Or read my interview with him by clicking here.

At the End of Church Street by Gregory L. Hall (Kindle)- The Funky Werepig is one of my favorite podcasts, and it turns out that its host has written a novel. This one takes a somewhat serious turn compared to his hilarious foray into paranormal romance, Dracula's Winky. The book is also edited by Louise Bohmer and published through Belfire Press, so it wound up becoming my first ever purchase on Amazon.

Undisputed by Chris Jericho (ARC, nonfiction) - I used to be a fan of pro wrestling, and Chris Jericho was one of my favorite performers--still would be probably if I still watched--so when I noticed a giveaway for his new autobiography on GoodReads, I threw my name in the hat. And wouldn't you know, I won a copy.

Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore (e-book) - Zombies and satire. Sometimes it's great like Shaun of the Dead, and sometimes it's not so great like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. But when I was contacted about reviewing this new novel, I'd found enough good words towards the author to give it a go.

The One-Percenters by John Podgursky (e-book) -It's been a year or so since I read something from Damnation Books, so I took up John's offer to review his novel. The premise sounds very dark and hard-nosed, and the kind of book that doesn't offer a middle ground for reader reaction.

The Bottom Feeders by Aaron Polson (Kindle) - For 99 cents, I snagged Aaron's short story collection from Amazon. That's a pretty sweet deal considering the fact that Aaron is a very good writer. I've been reading stories from it here and there and kicking a real kick out of it. My review for this one was posted yesterday and you can read it here.


And that's my gigantic haul for January. What books did you add to your shelf this past month?

1 comment: