January 26, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #83: Lucy A. Snyder's "Spellbent"


Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I'm not terribly well-read in the urban fantasy genre, but I do enjoy reading about hot chicks slaying demons from time to time. Hey, I'm a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, so sue me.

Well, last year I was listening to The Funky Werepig podcast and the guest author one week was Lucy A. Snyder. She has an urban fantasy trilogy published through Del Rey, and the debut novel Spellbent sounded particularly promising. So did the sequel, Shotgun Princess, for that matter. Take a magic-wielding heroine and have her accidentally open a portal to a demonic realm, losing her boyfriend in the process. Then, after she's punished by her superiors, she must go on a quest to save her man. Sounds good to me.

Urban fantasy gets slighted a fair bit these days, especially for redundant book covers, but there's something about this book and the way Snyder sells it to potential readers that has me interested.

Have you been keeping up with urban fantasy? Is this a book you would recommend? If you've read it, what did you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Fox, you couldn't have picked a better UF series -- "Spellbent" is a fantastic addition to the collection of great UF out there, and if you love Tim Pratt and Jim Butcher, as I do, you'll have a rollicking good ride with this one :-)

    Darkeva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read Pratt or Butcher, though I have an anthology edited by Pratt on my wish list. If you have some titles you'd like to suggest, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Just hopping by and following through.
    Buffy Rules :)
    I havent read this one yet but its on my TBR list

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...