January 19, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #82: David Sedaris' "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

One of the most effortlessly funny writers I can think of is David Sedaris. I discovered his work a few years ago on CBC Radio, as he read one of his stories and took part in an interview. Then I had the chance last year to read his book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames (reviewed here), I realized this guy has an even more macabre sense of humor and morbid curiosity of the world around him than I do.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk offers up even more Sedaris goodness, but this time around all of the stories involve animals as characters. He's done that before, using anthropomorphic critters in his anecdotes, but this book sounds like an even greater step towards the truly strange.

Have you ever read David Sedaris' work? Are you a fan too? If you've read this book already, how did you like it?


  1. Take Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk in tiny bites. It's...strange.

    I'm an enormous fan of Sedaris, and he is one of those rare NPR personalities whose voice translates well to the written page.

  2. Ha. I heard one of the stories on NPR over Christmas. I think it was This American Life with Ira Glass, but I can't be sure. Loved Engulfed in Flames and have a live performance on CD too.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...