January 5, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #80: Karen Palmer's "Spellbound"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I don't feature nonfiction titles in this segment very often, and when I do it's usually a book by a comedian, but I heard about this book a couple of months back and it struck me as very intriguing with its subject matter.

Spellbound: Inside West Africa's Witch Camps by Karen Palmer tells about a village with thousands of women have come together because they've been exiled from their homes and villages because they're all accused and convicted of witchcraft. Imagine that: an entire community comprised of women thought to be witches.

That is mind boggling. Of course, I remember hearing about witch doctors hunting down and killing albinos because they wanted to harvest body parts for magical spells, and I think that was pretty crazy too. But a village of supposed witches is almost too good a story to resist, whether fictionalized or documented reality such as this book.

What kind of nonfiction titles are on your wish list these days?

[update] CBC Radio's Q did an interview with Palmer. Click on the link to listen if you're interested: http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20110104_43347.mp3


  1. Spellbound sounds good. I've just finished one of Stephen Fry's autobio's and would like to read some more, it was very enetertaining. And I got the dvds Che part 1 & Che part 2 for christmas, now I want to read about him. and I know it's a bit sad but I want to read Booky Wooky 2 by Russell Brand, I loved the first one.

  2. Oh yeah, I heard Russel Brand has a couple memoirs out now. I might read one someday.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...