January 11, 2011

On My Radar: Anticipated Sci-Fi & Fantasy Novels in 2011

The blogosphere abounds with not only lists of everyone's favorite sci-fi and fantasy novels from 2010, but their lists of the most anticipated novels for 2011. Why should I be any different? Here are five novels due to be published this year that are on my radar.

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (to be released in April via Margaret K. McElderry) - I have yet to read the third book in Clare's Mortal Instruments series, City of Glass, and I thought that was the end of it. Wrong, it turns out, as she's releasing a fourth installment this year. Good to know.

Embassytown by China Mieville (to be released in May via Del Rey) - I am already patiently awaiting one Mieville novel to arrive in the mail, as I've yet to read any of his novels, but a new one is coming out this year that has my eye. A sci-fi tale about a city on the outskirts of the universe.

The Door to Lost Pages by Claude Lalumiere (May via Chizine Publications): I saw this listed among upcoming horror releases, but it sounds like it's more in the fantasy genre,. It's about a young girl who runs away from home on her birthday and winds up working in a bookstore called Lost Pages, which introduces her to a world of gods and monsters. Sounds good to me.

Ventriloquism by Catherynne M. Valente (coming soon from Subterranean Press) - I'm quickly becoming a fan of Valente's work through the few short stories I've read over the past year or so. This is a collection of short stories, including the ones I've read, and the cover is just too gorgeous to ignore.

Aloha from Hell by Richard Kadrey (release date unknown) - I'm unsure when this third installment in Kadrey's Sandman Slim novels is due to be released, but I love the title and really enjoyed the first novel. Hopefully, I'll have read the second, Kill the Dead, by the time this one is published.

So, those are some books that I'm on the lookout for through 2011. What have you got your eye on this year?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention of
    Claude Lalumière's The Door to Lost Pages. Hope you dig it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...