January 14, 2011

On My Radar: Anticipated Horror Novels in 2011

Oh, there are more than five horror novels I am anticipating in 2011--plenty more. But, I'm going to stick with five, which I spied while browsing Amazon. I had nothing but headaches trying to actually buy something from that site leading into Christmas, but it's still a great place to window shop (I'll just visit Book Depository when it comes time to buy anything).

Loss of Separation by Conrad Williams (March via Solaris): Every now and then I see Williams' name touted as one to look for in the horror genre. Well, this spring sees the release of his latest novel, in which a plane crash survivor questions his own sanity. Dean Koontz's Sole Survivor, which had a similar pitch line, was a disappointment to me, so I'd like to read a thriller about a crash survivor with more bite--and it sounds like Williams' novel fits the bill.

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan (March via Delacorte Press) - I listed Ryan's preceding novel, The Dead-Tossed Waves, in my list of favorite 2010 fantasy/sci-fi novels, but the content of this series seems very interchangeable. Heck, if Twilight can get away with being categorized as horror, then this book definitely deserves inclusion. Ryan is a fantastic writer and an unrepentant zombie fan, so I'm sure this third book in her series won't disappoint.

Captivity by Deborah Noyes (April via Unbridled Books) - Getting its paperback release, this one deals with the Fox sisters--no relation--who helped spark the spiritualist movement of the 19th century. I am a sucker for a good ghost story, and despite the inclusion of my namesake in this bit of history, I know relatively little about the Fox sisters, so this would be an especially interesting tale for me.

Willy by Robert Dunbar (April via Uninvited Books) - The author of The Pines and Martyrs & Monsters is coming out with a new offering of literary horror. What's it about? I don't know. But after reading only one of Robert's novels, and aware of the praise hurled at him from his peers, I don't think I need to know the pitch for the book. All I know is that when I get a chance to read this new novel, I'm going to jump on it.

The Color of Bone by Carol Weekes (coming soon via Dark Regions Press) - One half of the duo responsible for my favorite novel of 2009, Ouroboros, is coming out with a new short story collection as part of Dark Regions' New Voices of Horror series. I've been waiting for another chance to read Carol's work, so it's good to see her name on a book cover again. She also has a novel coming out this year as well, but it's the collection I have my eye on.

There's my five. What horror novels are you looking forward to in 2011?


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. I too am looking forward to The dark and Hallow Places. Anything with zombies seems to catch my interst!

    AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/

    Also, I am now following! I think your blog is somethign i could really get into.

  3. Thanks for following. I wouldn't think I'd be into zombie fiction as much, but I've been fortunate to avoid crap books involving zombies so far.

  4. I have never seen better than this site.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...