January 3, 2011

Chasing Tale in December: Lisa Mannetti, Amy Grech & Michael McCarty ...

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas--or whatever highly materialistic, over-commercialized holiday it is you do celebrate this time of year. New Year's resolutions are already being challenged, and any attempts to lose weight this year were greatly sabotaged by the obscenely calorific meals I was subjected to over the holidays. Shortbread is a narcotic, I'm sure of it.

Oh, and here are some books I got:

Fallen Angel by Amy Grech & Michael McCarty (novella, e-book) - The Stoker Award nominations are fast approaching, and one of the novellas that may wind up on the ballot is this collaboration between Grech and McCarty. McCarty's work I am unfamiliar with, but I did get the chance to read and review Grech's collection, Blanket of White, a year ago. You can read my review of it on Skull Salad Reviews.

Deathwatch by Lisa Mannetti (novellas, e-book) - This is a collection of two new novellas from the Stoker Award winning author, Dissolution and The Sheila Na Gig. If her deftness in writing The Gentling Box is any indication, these works should be good reading. I'll have my review of the book on Friday.

The Cries of Vampira Volume 1 by Sean H. Robertson (novella, e-book) - I was invited on GoodReads to download a copy of this novella for review. My to-be-read pile is monstrous enough as it is, but this novella is a mere 40 pages, so I imagine I'll have found time to read it by the time this blog entry is published.

I did get a couple of books made of actual paper, too:

Armageddon (anthology) edited by David Drake - I was listening to an SF Signal podcast a few weeks ago, in which someone strongly suggested any work by David Drake for people looking to read sci-fi. So, when I saw an end-of-the-world anthology edited by Drake, which includes one of his stories, I decided to grab it.

The Year's Best Science-Fiction 2003 (anthology) - My local library had another book sale in early December, but aside from this one book, all I walked away with from the congested room of ravenous readers was a wicked cold. Given the choice to go back in time, I probably would have stayed home and not hacked up a lung.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...