December 1, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #75: Christopher Golden's "The New Dead" (anthology)

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem. All December, I'm shining a light on anthologies.

If zombies are passe, someone forgot to put out the memo.

There are a quite a few zombie anthologies floating around, but this is one I put up on my wish list when I had a gander at the table of contents. The New Dead, edited by Christopher Golden, brings together the talents of Joe Hill, Max Brooks, Joe R. Lansdale, Kelley Armstrong, Brian Keene, and others for their own takes on the undead with previously unpublished tales. There's nineteen stories all tolled, and it's a fairly recent release--out in February I think it was.

If you're interested, you can read a recent round table discussion among the authors at Jonathan Maberry's Big Scary Blog.

Heard tell of this book? Are you sick of zombies yet or would you be interested in reading it too?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I want to get that one. I'm very much into zombie fiction. *drool* I have heard very good things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to be quite a few zombie anthologies out this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick of zombies? NEVER! EVER! Loved 'em for years and will continue to do so.

    This book IS really worth the buy. I can't say I've enjoyed many anthologies or compilations but what I've read of this one so far, it's good (in fact I have it sitting on my desk right beside me now). The Mike Carey story alone would merit picking up this book. I thought the Kelley Armstrong tale was a bit blah compared to her usual stuff. The Max Brooks one was cool. The John Connolly one was original. The Joe Hill one was interesting. Yeah, I'm enjoying it.

    I actually have a whole "Zombie Reading List" on my site if you're interested in finding any more books of this nature. There's some familiar and not so familiar stuff on it as well as full-fledged novels, anthologies and other stuff just in case you're interested.

    ReplyDelete