November 22, 2010

Writing Like Crazy: A Winner Is Me

The world isn't in the habit of handing out major victories to yours truly, so when the tiny victories arrive I greet them with a smile and a thank you.

I found out recently that my flash fiction piece, "Staving off the Thaw," was awarded first place in its category for Blood Bound Books upcoming anthology, Seasons in the Abyss. The entire anthology is a writing contest of sorts with competitions for each season, the winner receiving pro-pay rates. Hooray for that. I had a story I'd had rattling around in my head when I originally heard about the contest, and when all was said and done I was pleased to see it accepted for the winter season.

Like I said, tiny victories.

Elsewhere on the writing front, I hear Fearology 2 should be published in the near future. That anthology is through Library of Horror Press and revolves around the theme of animal-based horror. In case you're curious, my story "Walk 'Em Up" involves rabbits. I had originally wanted to submit my short story about a zombie-fied dog, but they weren't looking for zombies and were sick of submissions starring dogs--I've since submitted that story elsewhere.

The dry spell continues with no new acceptances coming in my inbox, but I'm willing to chalk that up to the fact that I've been aiming higher as of late, submitting my short stories to predominantly pro-pay markets. I think I heard this referred to as the trickle-down method: start with the top-paying markets and work your way down. Time will tell if that actually pays off.

One of the tricks is picking out appropriate markets to which to submit. A recent story I submitted is one I would describe as speculative-fiction, but only because it deals with the end of the world. It's not strictly sci-fi, and it's certainly not horror or fantasy. There is a hint of western to it, but that's only because the setting is without much of the technology we take for granted. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

For now, I'm wrapping up a submission for Fearology 3, which is plant-based horror for that anthology. Animals, plants--I checked their line-up of themes and I was expecting to see minerals. It's not listed, though.

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...