November 24, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #74: Sarah Waters' "The Little Stranger"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Sometimes it feels like the country best suited for haunted house tales is England. It must be the eons of history that saturate the place. Heck, so much of North American folklore is derived and borrowed from English and European history, it's no wonder.

I think it is the setting that most intrigues me about The Little Stranger, a novel by Sarah Waters. Set in some idyllic little countryside in the aftermath of World War II, a family estate is slowly delapidating and the family residing within its walls seems to be breaking down bit by bit as well. Enter a small town doctor, who after a childhood experience many years ago, finds himself drawn back to the house and its family upon seeing the torment beset upon all who reside there. Not only are the forces at work psychological from the war and a tragic death in the family, but apparently supernatural forces too.

I continue to stumble across one rave review after another for this book, which is why I've placed it on my wish list. Do you have any novels about hauntings on your wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...