November 3, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #71: Christopher Rowley's "Pleasure Model"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

What drew me first to Pleasure Model was the cover. It has that old mid-twentieth century charm to it with its pulpy illustration. Christopher Rowley seems to have a fair number of books already published, but I think this one might be his most ostentatious effort. It's published through Tor under the brand Heavy Metal Pulp. And if you have remember Heavy Metal magazine or the animated films, then you can probably imagine that kind of amped up, salacious content this book might have. It's sci-fi and noir in what could be a delicious blend.

The actual novel looks to be pretty short though, as a great deal of pages are dedicated to the artwork of Justin Norman, giving this a kind of graphic novel vibe. I have been enjoying graphic novels for the last couple of years though, so I have no quarrel with that. It is the first book of a trilogy, however, and I might have preferred a stand-alone novel. Maybe the three novels will be compiled in later years, who knows.

Does it sound like something you'd want to read too?

2 comments:

  1. My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't traded posts in the past. Never been asked, though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...