November 1, 2010

Chasing Tale in October: Jodi Lee, H.P. Lovecraft, Joshua Reynolds ...

The cold weather is slowly settling in--but you won't hear me complain. I was fed up with the heat and humidity from this past summer. It was terrible. As much of a pain in the ass as shoveling the driveway or trying not to break my neck on the ice can be, I will take the snowy splendor of winter any day of the week over those muggy, miserable July scorchers. Besides, I am a boy from October country and autumn is my favorite season, bar none. It always calms my spirit and readies me for the long haul through winter. So bring it on, you frigid ice queen, I'm ready for ya!

Oh, and I got some books this past month too:

Voltaire's Calligrapher by Pablo De Santis - I was sent a review copy of this book. Didn't know what to make of it at first, but when I read the synopsis it looked promising enough. A quick read that I ultimately enjoyed. You can read my review of it by clicking here.

Draculas by Blake Crouch, Jack Kilborn, Jeff Strand, & F. Paul Wilson (e-book) - Four authors for one novel--and a fairly slim novel at that. But, there's a metric ton of "bonus features" following the story to help fill out a two-hundred page novel to a four-hundred page book. I've already posted my review of this title, which you can read by clicking here.

Shaken by J.A. Konrath (e-book) - Joe e-mailed a link to some of us reviewers for his upcoming--and final--Jack Daniels mystery novel. I read and reviewed one of the books from the Jack Daniels series last year. Dirty Martini was a pretty good read, and I'll bet this capper on the whole deal holds up. It also comes in two versions: the intended out-of-sequence edition and a chronically linear edition. Neat.

Courting Morpheus by Jodi Lee (editor) - I won this through a Twitter contest held by Belfire Press. It's an anthology with stories that all take place in Lee's ominously inspired fictional town of New Bedlam. The varying styles from the authors was something else. My review for it will be posted on the blog tomorrow.

Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre by H.P. Lovecraft - I could feasibly download all the Lovecraft fiction I want from public domain sites, but that would still leave it all on my computer. I prefer a book in my hands, so when I saw a chance to snag this through Book Mooch, I did. Now, I don't really have any excuses left for not reading Lovecraft.

51 Fiendish Ways to Leave Your Lover by Lisa Mannetti & Glenn Chadbourne (e-book) - In gearing up for the interview/giveaway with Lisa Mannetti which I posted only a few days ago (see here), she was kind enough to send me a copy of her collaboration with Glenn Chadbourne. You can find my review of this humorous book by clicking here.

Dracula Lives! by Joshua Reynolds (e-book) - I snagged myself an electronic copy of this book through Josh's blog, Hunting Monsters. After reading Draculas, you'd think I'd be all vamped out for this month, but not so. This is completely different in tone, more noir than horror. I'll have a review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment