October 27, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #70: China Mieville's "Kraken"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Since this is my Monster Movie Marathon, I thought I'd keep this week's WLW in theme and spotlight a novel with a monster. Kraken by China Mieville features a giant squid, kept perfectly preserved in its rare glory in a London museum, until it disappears. It's then up to the museum's curator to track it down, but when there's a cult--one of many with its own doomsday prophecy--that is counting on the squid revealing itself as a god and destroying the world, things aren't likely to go according to plan.

I've read a few reviews for this novel and it sounds like a highly imaginative adventure with healthy portions of fantasy and comedy. If Mieville is half as good as Gaiman, then I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

I'm currently awaiting another of Mieville's novels, Perdido Street Station, so I'm sure I'll get to read a Mieville novel someday.

How about you? Have you read his work before? This sound like the kind of book you'd want to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment