October 20, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #69: Jack Ketchum's "Red"


Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I love dogs. Who doesn't, really? Cat lovers, and we all know how devious they are. Aside from atheists and environmentalists, is there anything worse than a cat lover?

Seriously though, I do like dogs and when an author can tap into my "I Heart Dogs" mentality, they have a good chance of turning me into a fan. It worked for Dean Koontz and his book Watchers. Read that book that tell me Einstein isn't an awesome dog.

Well, Jack Ketchum has a book about a dog that he wrote back in the eighties that I would like to read. It's called Red, which is the name of the dog I believe. This is Ketchum though, so he just has to go for the jugular. You see, the book isn't so much about the dog but its elderly owner who goes effing postal when some teenagers kill his faithful companion, Red. What's worse than a cat lover? A dog killer, that's what.

Anybody else out there a dog lover? Think you could make it through a horror novel in which the dog doesn't?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I love cats. I'm slightly offended. :)

    Red is a pretty good read, and one of Ketchum's most popular. Def check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the fact that he loves dogs that turned me off of Dean Koontz. It's the fact that nearly every Dean Koontz book I have ever picked up features a hyper-intelligent canine--usually a golden retriever. Seems like it has become a crutch. Or maybe I'm just picking up all the right (wrong) books. I don't know.

    Anyway, I'll be honest. I haven't read "Red". But I have seen the movie, and really enjoyed it. It's difficult to make a revenge film an emotional ride, but this movie managed to do that.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I actually stopped reading Koontz for a while because of the troubled man/lonely woman/dog/dog/dog formula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Girl - I offend the cats, too.

    Jonny - I guess I've been fortunate to read few enough of Koontz's novels to avoid the recurring dogs theme.

    Barry - Man, and here I thought Watchers stood out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...