October 6, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #67: Jeffrey Ford's "The Shadow Year"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

This is one of those award-winning novels that I should really make a point to find and read sometime. I've never read a Jeffrey Ford novel before, but I think I'd like to start with The Shadow Year. It won a Shirley Jackson Award, as well as a World Fantasy Award, so it must have something going for it besides hype.

It's set in the sixties and deals with the connections between a community and the cardboard replica of it created by some imaginative children. It's when the changes made to the replica town start having an influence on the real town that things turn more than weird. They turn dangerous.

The initial premise of the book, along with the praise and accolades it's received, are enough to convince me to put it on my wish list. Anyone already had a chance to read it? If so, what did you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you LOVE to read don't you! Cool website! I think I'll poke around a little more here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeed. Have fun meandering the blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...