October 11, 2010

Killer Kitsch: Huggable Urns


Ever considered what should be done with your mortal remains after you die? Would you prefer a burial or cremation?

Morbid stuff, right? Yeah, same here. But, if I'm to be honest, I'm going with cremation. It's a little hard to articulate why exactly. My dad was cremated, and his no-nonsense minimalist approach to his own death appealed to me. A big funeral procession with a shiny casket and so many pall bearers seems too decadent for the likes of me. The whole "ashes to ashes" thing is about the only bit of poetry I truly appreciate from the Bible, so scatter my ashes to the wind when I'm gone.

But then there are the folks who want to be kept in an urn. Now that has always felt morbid to me. Have you ever been a guest in someone's home and noticed an urn resting on the mantlepiece, sitting there like a beacon from beyond the grave--an unspoken, undead elephant in the room. I know death shouldn't be shunned with callousness, or ignored by people who would rather deny they themselves are destined to expire, but a constant specter on display like a flower pot seems slightly obscene to me.


A cocoa teddy bear urn
Granted, there are far more morbid ways to request your remains be interred.


I'm not so sure these things are meant to be cuddled by toddlers as they go to sleep, but I think there is something mildly unsettling at the thought that a kid could look up at a plushy bear and be told their mom or dad is in its belly.

I don't care how adorable and endearing it might seem, that's plain creepy--especially if the kid grows up wondering how many dead people are in the bellies of teddy bears at Toys 'R Us.

Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Umm, blech. Yeah, I think I all I really have to say on this one. Creepy... Blech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. Not what I would do, but it take all kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want my body to be hung in the town square as a warning to others....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I don't like that at all. I'd prefer to be sent out into the ocean - a good old Viking funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    good to be here, and visit through your good job of your nice site.

    by the way, could you exchange my site?

    this is my site:
    <a href="http://http://khmernewstoday.blogspot.com/

    I do hope you would not mind to exchange link with me

    best regards,
    http://khmernewstoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken - I hear ya.

    Nat - That it does.

    Chicken Wire - Ooh, just read a few too. Touching in one regard, but man oh man ...

    Andrew - We can make that happen. :)

    Cate - Viking funeral, eh? I must admit that it seems out of character for you, but it would make for a spectacular show.

    ReplyDelete