September 15, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #64: Elizabeth Bear's "Dust"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Okay, last week I mentioned I was up to my neck in trilogies and series that I have yet to finish. Honestly, I've lost count. Well, that doesn't mean that I don't have a few titles on my wish list that are not the first novels of proposed trilogies. It's a problem I'm trying to address.

Elizabeth Bear is a fantasy and sci-fi author with quite a few titles to her credit in the few years since her debut. I've yet to read any of her novels, but there is one out this year that sounds promising.

Titled Dust, it's the first book in a sci-fi trilogy called Jacob's Ladder. It's about a giant spaceship called Jacob's Ladder that houses colonists traversing the stars. They've been out there a long time and have undergone a kind of evolution through nanotechnology over hundreds of years. It's hardly a utopian environment though, with a few factions ready to battle it out with each other. And to top things off, the star they're orbiting is ready to go supernova and the ship needs to be repaired before they can haul ass out of there.

The synopsis I've read makes it sound like a sci-fi novel with dashes of fantasy thrown in for flavor. It could be a good read, as I do like it when genres are successfully mixed.

Have you heard of this author's work before? What do you think about the premise for this novel and trilogy?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...