September 1, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #62: Ekaterina Sedia's "The Secret History of Moscow"


Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I already have an Ekaterina Sedia novel sitting on my wish list (WLW #27: The Alchemy of Stone), but when I had the chance to do a little bargain hunting on Book Depository I found another novel that sounded just as promising. The paperback release of this title should be hitting shelves right about now, and should hopefully be arriving in the mail very soon.

The Secret History of Moscow brings some classic Russian folklore into a contemporary Russian setting, circa 1990. Now, the setting is different enough from my usual reading fare, but that's not the only reason I wanted to read this book. It's a fantasy novel that uses creatures from Russian folklore, creatures now living in obscurity and exile around Moscow, as a way to explore Russia's tumultuous rise and fall of Communism among other things.

I have read nothing but complimentary reviews for Sedia's work since first reading about her a year ago, so I have a feeling that I'll enjoy this novel once I get a chance to read it.

Are you familiar with her and her novels? If so, are you another person with rave reviews for her?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, she's very talented. Let us know how you find her latest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I haven't read anything by her but the book does sound promising. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy - No doubt. I'll likely have a review of it posted by the end of the month.

    Ryan - No problem.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...