September 13, 2010

BBAW: First Treasure



As part of Book Blogger Appreciation Week today, we're supposed to discuss a great book blog we discovered over the last year. And for the newer book bloggers, they're encouraged to discuss the first book blog they discovered. I think I'll do both.

I'll start with one of the first blogs I can recall finding when I started visiting book blogs in late '08 and early '09. Rod Lott's Bookgasm was the name of it and it had a bright, sharp visual style to it and some very fascinating reviews of books from varying genres. I think the tagline for the blog says it all: Reading Material to Get Excited About. No matter where you come from in terms of reading tastes, chances are pretty good that you'll be put on track to something in your preferred genre or discover something you might not have considered.

When it comes to the blogs I've discovered over the course of the last year there are a whole bunch. I think the one I'll single out is John Ottinger's Grasping for the Wind. The look of the blog was fairly plain, with a simple white background and minimal graphics. Not a lot to distract the eye, which is probably good because John is like a sci-fi aggregator on steroids at times. When the blog doesn't showcase its own reviews, interviews, and giveaway, there are catalogs of links to other sites to lead you to even more reviews, interviews, and more.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of either, but they sound wonderful! Bookgasm will be my next stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm familiar with Bookgasm (love the name!) but Grasping the Wind is new to me. Thanks for spotlighting them! Happy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - Both are not without their charm.

    Jenn - If you have any interest in sci-fi, you'll grow to love that one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...