August 30, 2010

Killer Kitsch: Moebius Models

When I was a little kid I dug model kits. But as a poor little kid, I didn't get many chances to own or build any models. Friends built scale model cars, jets, and I remember a castle one kid built and brought in to show off. I got by on my Lego and erector sets, and a few cheap kits I'd get from the Met (any Canadians remember that department store chain?).

Nowadays I just don't have the time, money, or dedication to try my hand at it. I do still enjoy checking out some of those model kits out there, though. So I was especially treated when I stumbled across a company's website that had a very cool looking Frankenstein model. It's the Universal Pictures version of the monster, no less.

The company is called Moebius Models and was started up by a hobby shop owner and modeler, Frank Winspur. Now I'm totally ignorant to the history of model kits, but there was apparently a highly coveted collection of monster models called the Aurora collection. Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, etc. I gotta say, if I'd known as a kid that these things were out there I would have probably saved pennies in a jar just to get my hands on one.

Moebius has resurrected a couple of those classic models, and have gotten licenses on some newer stuff. I saw they had licenses for Marvel's Iron Man, DC's Wonder Woman, and there's even a Conan the Barbarian on display. If this kind of thing ever interested you, their site is a neat little spot to browse and check out some very cool stuff. May I suggest you take a gander at the glow-in-the-dark Frankenstein. That is some kitsch-y coolness there.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...