August 12, 2010

Getting Graphic: "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Vol. 2)" by Bryan Lee O' Malley

Title: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Vol. 2)

Author/Illustrator: Bryan Lee O' Malley
Published: Oni Press (2005)
ISBN 1-932664-12-2

I dig snark. I just do. And Scott Pilgrim provides plenty of it in page after page of twenty-something angst and hijinks. When I read the first Scott Pilgrim book a few months ago, I enjoyed the tone, the art style, and the saturation of modern pop culture in every panel.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World picks up where the first book left off. Scott's dating his uber-crush, Ramona, and he's already vanquished one of her evil ex-boyfriends. But now the plot thickens. A lot.

Scott still hasn't officially broken up with his current seventeen year old girlfriend, Knives, who is just a little obsessive about him. Okay, she's a cross between Hello Kitty and Fatal Attraction. Then there's Scott's band and their opportunity to open for a hot new band. The hang up there, however, is that the band is led by Scott's ex-girlfriend.

The story has a couple more fights with the evil ex-boyfriends, and even what might be called a bonus fight, but the focus of this story seems to be on the blossoming relationship between Scott and Ramona. I'm not sure if I'd call it a more introspective volume than the first, but it sure adds more depth to Scott's life and relationships with everyone around him.

I must say that I'm really warming up to this series of comic books, thanks in large part to the buzz surrounding the film adaptation with Michael Cera. I just have to wade my way through the next four volumes before I get around to seeing the movie. The pop culture references and blase attitude towards the extraordinary window dressing given to Scott's reality are really fun. I hope to see more from the other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment