July 28, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #57: Santa Olivia

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started back in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Jacqueline Carey is a celebrated fantasy author, but more often than not the books by her I see spotlighted on book blogs belong to an on-going series. I would like to sample a stand-alone novel from her before I hunker down with yet another series.

Santa Olivia sounds like the kind of book I might enjoy. A young woman, who's been genetically manipulated to be literally fearless, winds up in a American/Mexican border town and winds up the town's protector. Io9 recommended it for folks who enjoyed the X-Men/Wolverine movies. I would sincerely hope that Carey's writing talents exceed those who penned the screenplays for those movies.

At any rate, the book sounds promising to me when hearing a rough idea of its premise. Does it sound like something you'd want to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...