July 21, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #56: Lesser Demons

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started back in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I've heard the name Norman Partridge bandied about once in a while as a name in horror and fantasy literature to look out for. Well, I've been looking, but his is a name among many on my watch list that never appears on my local bookshelves.

From what I understand the guy has a real knack of blending the horrific with the fantastical that is akin to days of yore when "The Twilight Zone" was on TV with Rod Serling looking into your soul. I love "The Twilight Zone" and if an author who can write well and offers a chance to remember those childhood chills, I'm game.

This year marks the publication of a collection of short stories from Partridge called Lesser Demons. First of all, I love the title. Secondly, the descriptions by Subterranean Press of some of these stories makes me salivate.

One story called "The Iron Dead" involves a pulp-style protagonist "with a mechanical hand built in Hell." And other story deals with a mutant spider battling toy soldiers in some dystopian wasteland. Oh yes, this sounds like it's right up my alley.

Have you heard of his work before? If you've read it, what did you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. Never read any of his work before, but I'm really interested about this book. I'll definitely keep my eye on this one.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...