July 14, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #55: Who Fears Death

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started back in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

I can't think of a single novel I've read that incorporated Africa as a setting. Go figure. North America, Europe, and fanciful re-imaginings of those two continents are pretty much the norm for my reading habits. Time to try and change that, and I think this book would be a great way to start.

Who Fears Death by Nnede Okorafor sounds like a sprawling, fantastical tale with Africa--a post-apocalyptic Africa no less--as the backdrop. The protagonist is a young girl who realizes she has some untapped magical abilities, which first manifests when she wakes up in a tree and realizes later that she'd transformed into a bird. Thrown in with fantasy elements are some very visceral real world dilemmas, as well which really broaden the scope of the story. The early reviews I've read for this book give the impression that this is a sweeping adventure of both inner and outer exploration--a coming-of-age story to the nth degree, by the sounds of it.

At any rate, I've read as much positivity written about the author as I have the book itself. Who Fears Death sounds very promising and it has gone on my wish list as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment