July 7, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #54: The Passage

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started back in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Man, where did this book come from? I'm not the kind of guy who keeps his ear to the railroad tracks of publishing, but the buzz for The Passage by Justin Cronin seemed to drop out of the sky in an instant. Well, heck, if the guy can get early praise from Stephen King, a seven-figure deal for the movie rights from Ridley Scott, and rave reviews from just about everyone, I'm game.

Likened to King's The Stand, the story is ignited by a secret government facility accidentally unleashing a virus upon the earth. Unlike The Stand, this virus doesn't kill, but transforms. The aftermath: a world full of vampiric creatures thirsty for blood.

It's the first book of a proposed trilogy, though. Oh man, I've lost count of how many trilogies and series I'm in the middle of right now. Do I really want to pile on another at this point? I've only just recently wrapped up my reading journey through the Harry Potter novels, and one book away from finishing King's Dark Tower series.

What do you think? Are you psyched to read this one?

3 comments:

  1. This certainly seems interesting. In all honesty though, just based on the synopsis you gave it sounds like something that's been done before. I Am Legend is what instantly came to mind. Have you heard anything else that separates it from all the other virus-plagued stories?

    The cover reminded me of little Karen the zombie from NotLD by the way. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've beenw anting to read this one for a while and actually read the first 20-30 pages at the store the other day. I was buying three other books already so didn't pick it up. I've been kicking myself ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe - Oh, it definitely sounds like a well-worn plot (i.e., The Strain), but it could be quite a good read. I'm curious about the necessity of its length, though, as I'll bet it could've been trimmed down.

    Ryan - Ha. Buyer's remorse. I know that well.

    ReplyDelete