June 15, 2010

Writing Like Crazy: A Reprieve from Rejections

After more than six months of accumulating rejections, I finally received an acceptance. I'm not sure where the average for people rests with the time between each short story acceptance, but 2010 was feeling pretty bleak for me.

Them's the ropes, though. You pile up the rejections unabated until you get those elusive check marks in the win column. It's been almost a year since I made my very first sale, with Northern Fright Publishing's Shadows of the Emerald City anthology, so it feels good to have what feels like a little forward momentum--I take it when it comes.

I'm sending off my signed contract today to Blood Bound Books and hopefully they'll have a full table of contents posted for the anthology, Seasons in the Abyss, down the line. The concept of an anthology using the four seasons as themes was an intriguing one I could not resist writing for. And re-reading my story, I am still quite fond of it. I'm glad they liked it too.

I think the anthology is to be released in the fall, which means I could see two of my stories published in the fall, as the Dead Bells anthology (edited by Jodi Lee) is supposed to be published around that time.

Now, I wonder if I can get another acceptance--or dare I dream for more than one--before the last day of summer. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Gef. Always a good feeling to send off that contract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Yes, acceptances take time. It seems as if it's been that way for everyone, slow and steady this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, all. Baby steps and all that jazz.

    ReplyDelete