June 23, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #52: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started back in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

You know, it's weird. When I was a little kid I thought Ray Bradbury was lame. That immature opinion formed from watching weekend reruns of "Ray Bradbury Presents." I think it was the intro to the show that turned me off, with Bradbury writing den and all its knick-knacks out for display. I found it hokey and substandard. I was also the same kind of idiot kid who watched "Transformers" and "He-Man" whenever those shows aired. Talk about hokey and substandard.

I turned around and took a liking to Bradbury in my college years though, around the same time I got into "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits". Then I started reading Bradbury's stories. But I've never read a novel length work by the man. And if I'm going to start, I think it ought to be with Something Wicked This Way Comes.

In a small town somewhere in America, a couple of boys are entranced by a strange traveling carnival run by a man named Mr. Dark.

I don't know about you, but those tales of children encountering the sinister side of the world have always intrigued me. How about you? This sound like the kind of story you'd read? Have you read it already? What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. I read it and really liked it. Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of my absolute favorite Bradbury books. My favorite work of his is probably his short called "The Cistern".

    I was also a He-Man and Transformers fan. Don't forget Voltron and Thundercats! Thundercats, ho! ;)

    -Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thundercats were awesome! I havent read this book yet but might have to check it out. I really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercedes - Ugh. Thundercats. I hated that cartoon as a child, but I was in the minority among my friends. Of course, I'm a dog lover. :)

    Lin - Fahrenheit 451 is a fantastic book. "Thundercats" is a different matter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...