June 29, 2010

Wag the Blog #15: My Point of View Is Slightly Askew

I thought I'd throw together one of these, as there have been quite a few blog posts to catch my eye lately, so why not share. I also found out that Book Blogger Appreciation Week is coming back in September, and since I'm a full-on book blogger these days, I signed up to participate. Not entirely sure what I'll do special to mark the occasion, but I'm sure I'll think of something. If you're a book blogger and want to check it out, you can find most of the info you'll need by clicking HERE.

For the writers out there, Lousie Bohmer posted about "Whose Head Am I In?"--a discussion on point of view. That was something I had a real problem with when I first started writing, but I've been getting much better at it. I have the occasionally slip up when there are several characters in a scene, but it'll get better over time.

Adam Blomquist's Brain Tremors has an interview with author, Nate Kenyon, who wrote one of my favorite novels so far this year, Sparrow Rock. It's a good read, so go check it out.

On Day of the Woman, Billy Bitterman guest-posted a list of his "Top Ten Ghost Movies". I was glad to see Ghostbusters get a little love on the list.

The Evening Class put me onto Midnite for Maniacs interview with Diablo Cody about her thoughts on the less-than-stellar film, Jennifer's Body. She does a pretty good job defending the film, but it'll take more to convince me that Megan Fox is talented.

Speaking of defending films, The Vault of Horror has "The Tuesday Top 10: Horror Movies That Catch a Bad Rap". I was glad to see a little love afforded to Nightbreed, which I recently mentioned in a meme about books I'd like to see sequels for. Alien 3 is a film, however, I disagree with as being under-rated--I didn't care for that one at all.

If you enjoy the new Killer Kitsch posts I've been doing this year, you ought to check out Zombies DON'T Run for a post about Plush Dolls for not only Marvel Comics characters, but some horror film icons too. The Freddy doll is creepy as heck.

And speaking of zombies, Jonathan Maberry's Big Scary Blog has a two part panel discussion about zombies in films and literature. You can find Part 1 HERE and Part 2 HERE.

If you want a little more zombie love, go check out The Horror Digest and Andre's question, "Day of the Dead: Why Aren't We Talking About It More?" I thought that particular Romero flick was an okay zombie flick, but I wasn't crazy about it and never felt compelled to extol it. Give Andre credit for picking up that torch.

Brutal As Hell had an interesting article about horror movies and their MPAA ratings. "Does an R Rating Signify a Better Horror Film?" There are some films discussed, each was released with a PG-13 rating, and I gotta say I was surprised at more than a couple of the movies mentioned--The Ring was rated PG? Wow.

And if you're in the mood for one more list, io9 has you covered with "13 of Science-Fiction's Baddest Convicts." Some of the characters are easy choices, like Snake Plissken, but the list includes a few dark horse picks, like Princess Leia. I gotta say, present-day Carrie Fisher strikes me as a more imposing figure than 1970s Carrie Fisher.

1 comment:

  1. Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

    ReplyDelete