June 14, 2010

On My Radar: Burke & Hare starring Simon Pegg

I've liked or loved just about every movie Simon Pegg has starred in. I even managed to get past Kirsten Dunst's unpleasantness on screen to enjoy How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. The guy just has one of those affable personae that makes me want to root for him, whether he's fighting off zombie hordes in Shaun of the Dead or fighting off Romulan hordes in Star Trek. So, when I learned he was set to star in a comedic film about the real life exploits of two 19th century serial killers, my antennae perked.

I'm not sure if he plays Burke or Hare, or if it even matters. What I do know is that the cast sounds nearly as promising as the premise. Andy Serkis plays his partner in crime, and Isla Fisher and Tom Wilkinson have supporting roles. I like.

The movie somehow takes a humorous twist on real life events, which involve two men who started killing people for payment as they provided the cadavers for medical research. It's grim stuff, but I have my fingers crossed on this one, because it does sound like there's plenty of opportunity for farce and satire.

Now that I think of it, Burke and Hare sounds like the kind of movie that would have been right up Vincent Price's alley back in the day. In fact, didn't he star in a film about an undertaker who killed his clientèle? I think he did, but I can't remember the name of that one.

Anyway, this new movie is scheduled to hit theaters in the fall. Maybe it'll be a Halloween release--it'd be a nice change of pace from the interminable Saw series.

4 comments:

  1. 'Comedy of Terrors' (1964) is the Vincent Price film you're thinking of. Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone. Awesomely funny in a nasty kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Comedy of Terrors, I should've known that since it aired over the Halloween weekend last year. Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you on the Simon Pegg love. I'll watch anything he's in...and I don't say that too much. I wonder if this will be a wide release in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if the U.S., but I'd like to think Canada would as part of the Commonwealth. Something other than the blase horror movies of the season is more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...