June 28, 2010

Meme, Myself, & I: Where's a Sequel When You Need One?

Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia put me onto this meme, started by Lost in Books.

The topic: Name three books you would like to see have a sequel.

This was a bit of a tough one for me because so much of what I've read has either already had a sequel written, on account of being part of a series, or the book feels so complete as a stand-alone I wouldn't dare suggest the author write a sequel to it. There are a scant few that I would genuinely enjoy seeing revisited by the author.

And they are:

Cabal by Clive Barker - I'm pretty sure Barker never wrote a follow-up to this story about an monster underworld called Mideon. If he did though, please let me know so I can go on the hunt for it. I saw the film adaptation as a young teen and considered it my favorite horror movie for years. After reading the book, I appreciated the world crafted by Barker even more, and it practically begs to tell readers more.

The Shining by Stephen King - King mused in an interview last year that he had an idea for how to go about writing a sequel to one of his most iconic works. The idea died almost as soon as he uttered it, though. Whether he went with his premise of revisiting Danny in his forties as he deals with his psychic abilities, or whether King wrote it in some other way, I would definitely be on board to read whatever the king of horror had cooked up as a sequel.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Oh, sure, there have been plenty of authors to toy with the Frankenstein characters, but I wonder how Shelley would have gone about it. I had once thought, after reading the book, the monster survives his desolate trek into the arctic wasteland and winds up on the arctic shores of Canada seeking solitude, while the Inuit deal with his arrival. Far-fetched, yes, but consider the original subject matter. At any rate, I am forced to satiate my want of a Frankenstein sequel with Dean Koontz novels and Universal monster movie classics.

4 comments:

  1. Woah, that Shining idea would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, well, er...check Mr. King's website to see one of his WIPs. Let's just say Danny is all growed up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry, if that happens I'm scream at a higher pitch than Sarah ever could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nightbreed remains one of my fav horror movies still. And I agree, Cabal needs a sequel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...