May 11, 2010

On My Radar: The "Escape from New York" Remake

Alright now, would someone mind telling me when exactly it became acceptable for Hollywood to delude itself into thinking it had the right--nay, the blessing to start messing with perfection? Kurt Russell is Snake Plissken, thank you very much, so unless Neil Moritz (producer) is looking to invent a time machine before going into production then this is nothing short of heresy.

Okay, fan boy. Simmer down.

Fair enough. But when I hear rumors circulating that Gerard "I'm Allergic to Good Movies" Butler is interested in playing Snake Plissken--and Moritz is in favor of it--I get a little bit frenetic. I think the Butler thing has fallen through (thank the Spartans), but the movie is still inching its way to becoming a reality. It's been inching its way for years now, but things seem to be gelling nowadays as the script doctors have been hard at work coming up with something that has the producers salivating and directors lining up.

The new name, according to the Hollywood Reporter, that is geared up to direct the Escape from New York remake is Breck Eisner. Yeah, I didn't recognize the name right away either. Turns out he's the son of Michael Eisner--the former Disney overlord. He's also the director responsible for that Matthew McConaughey debacle, Sahara. He directed this year's The Crazies too, so it might not be all that bad.

I should sit back and accept it. Sooner or later, every movie with a modicum of merit is going to be remade, revamped, or re-imagined at some point. It's just that when I hear that they are not only remaking one of my all-time favorite movies, The Thing, but Escape from New York as well ... (sigh) ... I worry that Hollywood will go for the Kurt Russell trifecta and remake Big Trouble in Little China. If that happens I may slip from mordant cynicism to absolute despair.

Forgive them, Kurt, for they know not what they do.

1 comment:

  1. worry that Hollywood will go for the Kurt Russell trifecta and remake Big Trouble in Little China. If that happens I may slip from mordant cynicism to absolute despair.

    Agreed. The thought of BTLC being remade sends shivers down my spine.

    ReplyDelete