May 2, 2010

Chasing Tale in April: Stephen King, Gord Rollo, H.G. Wells ...

A happy birthday to me, belated though it may be. I dunno about you, but after I hit the big 30 I just don't anticipate these birthdays with the same amount of glee anymore. I was never big on celebrating birthdays anyway. Basically just an excuse for drunken debauchery. Oh, it had its charm years back when drinking booze was a novelty act, but I drink considerably less nowadays. I'll take books over booze as a gift any day now. God, I'm dull.

Anyway, while I didn't receive any books as gifts this time around, I still managed to snag a few throughout the month. So here's a list of the plunder:

Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky - I was contacted to read and review this newly translated novel. Tim Mohr is the cat who translated it from German to English, and I suspect it'll hold up well as the praise in Europe has been solid. A debut novel from Bronsky (a pseudonym), it's a contemporary piece of literature, and it'll be nice to read some more stories from overseas. My review for this book should appear this coming Saturday.

Lucas Manson by Thomas Hauck - Again, I was contacted to read and review this novel. It's apparently the first in a prospective series of thrillers by the author. I'm unfamiliar with the author, but that's never stopped me in the past. Anyone ever heard of the band, the Atlantics? Well, he was a member, turns out. Thriller novels aren't always my bag, but the premise for this one sounded interesting. My review should be up next Monday.

Just After Sunset by Stephen King - King's latest collection of short stories. I've actually read a couple of these online already ("The Cat from Hell" and "Rest Stop"), but it'll be nice to pore over this book. I'm particularly interested in reading "The Things They Left Behind" and "N."

Under the Dome by Stephen King - Wow, you don't really appreciate how jeezly gigantic this epic hardcover is until a shopkeep lugs it out from under his counter and drops it on the countertop with a resounding thud. "You want it?" he asked. "Heck yes," I answered. "I may go moose hunting this year and that looks like it'll stun the hell out of the critter."

State of Decay by James Knapp - Have I had enough of the zombie fiction yet? Surprisingly no, though that's possibly in part because I haven't read an exorbitant amount of it. Lord knows there's a metric ton or two in print, but I'm fortunate because much of what I've read has been enjoyable. I spied this book, which includes zombies as a kind of weapon of war, as a giveaway at Grasping for the Wind and was fortunate enough to win. Yay me. My review for this one should be up tomorrow.

Crimson by Gord Rollo - I spied this novel at a used-bookstore and decided to get it. Horror Web's blurb struck me--"Crimson is It's superior in every possible way." Hmmm, I wonder. I had missed out on winning a copy of Rollo's January release, Strange Magic, from Horror World so this is a nice consolation. I believe Bad Moon Books put out a limited edition of Crimson, but I'll be content with this Leisure Books release from last year.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - I've been meaning to read this one for ages. And while I didn't really care for Wells' The Invisible Man, I am eager to read this one. The film adaptation with--now let me think--Guy Pierce (?) didn't really win me over, but it's been years since I saw it. I'm sure the book will give me a better appreciation for the tale.

So, what's new on your bookshelf this month?


  1. Honestly, I would find that Horror Web blurb a little embarassing.

  2. Hmmm. Could be very true. Who knows, they might be right. :|



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...