April 2, 2010

Wag the Blog #13: Tastes Great, Less Killing (Horror Vs. Thriller)

It's been a couple of months since I whipped up one of these blog entries, so it's about time I pointed visitors towards some of the blogs that have caught my interest lately.

I'll be damned in the Bram Stoker Awards went down last weekend. I didn't pay attention to when the ceremony was going to be, so this was a pleasant surprise provided by Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. You can find the official results at HWA's blog, Dark Whispers, too, but I always encourage people to visit Dark Wolf's great blog. 2009 Bram Stoker Awards Winners. Hurray, Sarah Langan.

The Vault of Horror hosted a conversation regarding scary movies. Horror Vs. Thriller: A Conversation looks at the distinguishing features and close similarities between the two categories and what might make a movie a thriller instead of a horror film.

I was not aware Patton Oswalt wrote for comic books. Leave it to Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch Blog to interview the comedian. Patton Oswalt talks about his "Firefly" comic book. I discovered "Firefly" too late, as Fox canceled it after the first season. I watched the entire season on DVD and loved it like others love Jebus. I love the idea that the story is carrying on in another medium.

J.A. Konrath's Newbie's Guide to Publishing answers the question, Am I Good Enough to Epublish. Short answer for me? No. But the guy seems to have Amazon and e-books in general figured out, at least for the most part. If you're curious about electronic publishing, you'd do well to check it out.

Ty Schwamberger took the time over at Hellnotes to interview three aspiring authors. Ty-ing Up the Genre: Up-and-Comers looks at three writers and their motivations, hardships, and approach to the craft.

Speaking of interviews, Patricia's Vampire Notes recently hosted an Interview and Contest with David Niall Wilson.

And Apex Book Company's blog, R. Thomas Riley talks about the thing no writer really likes to talk about. The Wall. Oh man, I still cringe when I think about my bout of the wall a couple of months ago.

Over at Death Rattle, there's a countdown list--two actually--of the Top Five Female Revenge Movies (#5, #4, #3, #2, #1). I am sadly not in much of a position to see movies that slip under the mainstream radar, but it's blogs like this that manage to give me movie titles to keep an eye out for in the future.

Oh, and I don't know if Nicholas Sparks has an over-inflated ego, but to read some of his comments in this USA Today interview, I suspect he is his own biggest fan. Actually, any author who cites his own novel as his favorite coming-of-age novel is definitely his own biggest fan. Yup, I'm a little less eager to read his work now--and there are two on the way (The Notebook and Dear John).

No comments:

Post a Comment