April 23, 2010

On My Radar: George Romero's "The Living Dead: The Beginning"

I had no idea George Romero wrote novels. Who knew? Well, as near as I can tell, he's only written one other, Night of the Living Dead, which I assume is a novelization of his landmark film. Still, give the man some credit.

While doing some updates on Good Reads, I came across a new book set to be released in July by Grand Central Publishing, titled The Living Dead: The Beginning. My instant reaction was, "Oh man, another zombie book?" Then I spied the author's name--George A. Romero. The man practically invented zombies.

I suspect fans of zombie fiction will be crawling all over themselves to get a copy of this when it hits shelves in July. I'm not convinced, though. I have thoroughly enjoyed quite a few of his movies, but there have been others that I have found lackluster--and Diary of the Dead was just dreadful, in my opinion. What kind of quality in writing should we expect from Romero? We're not in need of Richard Matheson caliber stuff, but I can't help but be a tad skeptical when a celebrity notorious for their movies, music, etc, suddenly takes a stab at writing a book.

I'm going to keep an open mind with this one. I won't be rushing out to snag a copy, myself, but I think this is a title I'll be keeping an eye out for later in the year when it does hit shelves.

How about you? Been hearing any buzz about this upcoming release?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...