April 1, 2010

Chasing Tale in March: Quirk Classics, Jonathan Maberry, Dan Simmons ...

Spring is finally in the air, so the fear of slipping on ice is gone for another eight months. Given the obscenely pleasant weather we've been having in March, I am a bit surprised at myself for not hitting the bookstores in the valley more. Only made one excursion. I guess that's because I'm still anticipating a fair number of books to arrive in the mail, so my bibliophilic nature is in a state of satiety. Kind of makes me wonder what other book worms enjoy more: snagging a book at a store or finding a book in their mailbox.

I got a little of both in March, so let's see what I've added to my to-be-read pile.

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor - It wasn't too long ago that I blogged about this book (Wish List Wednesday #25). I'll be damned if I didn't see a hardcover of it in a used-bookstore, sitting atop a pile of other fantasy hardcovers in a side room filled to the brim with stacks of books. So that's one more off the ol' wish list, which I hope to read sometime this spring. In the meantime, I've learned to spell Beddor's last name correctly. Gold star for me.

Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich - I read and enjoyed the first Stephanie Plum novel by Evanovich. The second, however, has been sitting on my to-be-read- pile forever and a day. At any rate, I spied the third book in the series and got it since it's been on my wish list for a while. I think the first three books are about as far as I'm willing to invest in the Plum novels, as the idea of reading all sixteen--there's probably a seventeenth on the way--is a task I find more than a little daunting.

Prowlers by Christopher Golden - I recall seeing and hearing this name more than once. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I read a Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel he and Nancy Holder wrote. But I've heard about Golden as a collaborator with John Skipp more than anything. I believe this novel might count as YA horror, judging by the synopsis on the back cover. At any rate, it's now on my TBR pile.

Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry - My second Book Mooch acquisition. This is the sequel to Maberry's Ghost Road Blues, which was part of my winter reading list--the review for it can be read here. It was pure fluke I found Dead Man's Song on a fellow Canadian's inventory, so I wasted no time in requesting it. I hope it can keep up the pace set by the first book.

Black Hills by Dan Simmons - I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this new release courtesy of All About {n}. It's a damnable shame I haven't read a Simmons novel yet, but I started with this one as soon as it arrived on my doorstep. Some have described it as a bit of a departure from Simmons' previous works, but I've heard nothing to suggest that there's a diminished quality to this book. And from what I've read so far, I can see I'll be reading a lot more of Dan Simmons' work in the future.

I also happened upon an enticing giveaway by Quirk Classics last month, as part of their promotion for their latest release. Judging by the plethora of plunder that showed up this past Monday after winning one of the prize packs, their budget must be predominantly shipping costs. In the Quirk Classics Prize Pack, I received:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith - I haven't read the first mash-up by Seth Grahame-Smith--couldn't bring myself to hop on the bandwagon--but I appreciated the concept. Now there's a sequel that takes a more original approach, rather than interspersing Austen's work with new narrative. I threw my name in the hat on the off chance I might win this book, hoping I wouldn't be required to read the preceding novel first. Upon winning and receiving it, I was surprised to see what else came with it.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith (audiobook) - Now, while I'm reading Dawn of the Dreadfuls I can listen to the first book. That was a great surprise. I never hopped on the mash-up bandwagon last year, so I guess this is my chance to catch up. I even received 30 gorgeous postcards featuring artwork inspired by the book, as well as a journal I don't think I could bring myself to sully with my own penmanship.

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters (audiobook) - As if all the things listed above weren't enough, I also received this mash-up audiobook. I can only imagine how Austen might react to see her romantic fiction seasoned with the undead and other abominable creatures. Oh well, and audiobook of this story is perfect for me, since I wasn't in a hurry to sit down and read it.

That is an embarrassment of riches as far as books go. And I still have about a dozen more books to receive through the mail in the weeks to come. I've put a considerable dent in the pile of books I've received so far this year, but I think this latest batch will negate that.

What interesting titles did you score in March? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

3 comments:

  1. What a great month for you! So many mashups. I haven't read any of the mashups yet but lots of people are reading them so maybe they're worth a try.

    The Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd are in my tbr and I can't wait to start them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great haul! especially the zombie goodies ;-D happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella - The Looking Glass Wars does sound like a good read. I'm hoping it won't be too long before I tear into that one.

    vvb32 - The prize pack was definitely a great haul. And I think Quirk Classics is still looking for reviewers too. Ya never know.

    ReplyDelete