March 1, 2010

Rabid Rewind: Land of the Lost

Title: Land of the Lost
Starring: Will Farrell, Danny McBride
Directed by: Brad Silberling
Released: 2009

I remember reading and hearing reviews for this movie and wondering, if it's so damned bad then why would a studio give it the green light. After watching it, I'm left to speculate that the people who bankrolled this movie were putting all their eggs in Will Ferrell's basket. As charismatic and silly as he is, however, he is not a miracle worker. And it would have taken a miracle to make this movie any good.

I have no idea what Land of the Lost was like as a television show back in the day, but I'm guessing it was a big pile of sci-fi schlock. Lost in Space was another sci-fi remake movie where the source material was pretty weak, but at least that movie had Gary Oldman as the villain. Land of the Lost had a Sleestack lizard man as the villain, and was featured very sporadically and really presented little threat or tension. Granted, I'm writing about this point as if the story was dealing with any kind of cohesive plot to begin with.

If there was a script for this movie, I'm guessing it was written on the back of a napkin. Something to the effect of: Will Ferrell + Tyrannosaurus Rex = Blockbuster.

The laughs are sporadic and puerile. Pee jokes, gay jokes, boob jokes, drug jokes. That's about as sophisticated as it gets. I wasn't expecting much--very little really--and I still ended up feeling cheated of valuable time. Shame on me. I thought 2008's Step Brothers wasn't that bad, so thought the critics might have been overly harsh with this one. Nope ... they nailed it.


  1. My husband and I started watching this on the plane. He was asleep within 15 min. I was asleep within 20. Gah!

  2. Never had a desire to see this one.

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Lenore - Lucky you two.

    Ryan G - You are wiser than me by that choice alone.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...