March 1, 2010

Chasing Tale (Again) in February

Man, I received a lot of books in February. It's obscene, really. And I'm not talking about the erotica, though some did show up in the mail this month. I think Focus on the Family might even be producing an attack ad against my mailbox. Just sayin'.

Around my neck of the woods, I discovered one of the longest running used-bookstores in the valley is closing down. Guzzie's has been open for as long as I can remember--I can still remember browsing the children's book/comic book shelf for whatever I could find as a kid--but Guzzie isn't getting any younger and I think she's ready to retire, so she put up notice and started a 2-for-1 sale. I bought four books in an unceremonious farewell to one more bookstore.

Speaks the Nightbird: Volumes 1 & 2 by Robert McCammon - McCammon is one of those authors whose work I really need to get acquainted with. I have one of his most noted novels, Boy's Life, sitting on my TBR pile and I thought these two novels could keep it company. The man has a new novel out this year titled Mr. Slaughter that sounds promising too, which is going on my wish list.

Toybox by Al Sarrantonio - This is a short story collection with an introduction by Joe R. Lansdale. Sarrantonio is one of those writers who doesn't cage himself within a single genre, as he has written horror, science-fiction, western, mystery, and he may even write under the pseudonym of Sophie Kinsella--okay, that last one's made up, but you get my point.

Pandora Drive by Tim Waggoner - A story about a woman with the involuntary ability to make people's dreams come true, as well as their nightmares. The only writing of Waggoner's I've read so far has been his articles and essays on the craft of writing, so this looks like a good place to start with his fiction.

Then there was my foray into online book swapping:

The Pines by Robert Dunbar - This is the first book I've mooched through Book Mooch. Every time a novel on my wish list became available, I only ever got online in time to discover someone else had mooched it. So, I decided to scrounge the inventories of other users, randomly typing in authors' names to see what might catch my eye. I'd heard Dunbar mentioned in various places as a horror author worth checking out. So, when I saw this book I figured I ought to snatch it up.

I also exchanged a bunch of books at another bookstore and walked away with these titles:

Bestial by Ray Garton - I'm still on the lookout for Live Girls, his heralded '89 novel, but when I saw this '09 release I knew I'd better grab it. It's an '09 release, which I heard him talk about in a podcast interview with The Agony Column. It deals with Adventism, something the author is quite familiar with, so it'll be interesting to see his horrific approach to the subject matter.

Bag of Bones by Stephen King - I found a hardcover of this in good condition, so I grabbed it. The store's hardcover section is less than organized and I'm always at a loss in finding just the right novel with which to use up my hardcover credit. I saw this among some other King titles that I already own or have read, so decided to get it.

Bad Moon Rising by Jonathan Maberry - The sequel to Ghost Road Blues and Dead Man's Song. I was not expecting to snag all three books of this trilogy so easily, as I've requested Dead Man's Song via Book Mooch and should receive it soon. I have so many trilogies and series to read through already, but I want to make this trilogy a priority because I really enjoyed Ghost Road Blues.

And if that wasn't enough, the library held another book sale this month. Either I need to get smaller or the room they hold the sale in needs to get bigger, because every time I go I feel like a bull in a china shop. I spied two novels by authors whose names caught my eye, so I plucked them off the rack, paid my $3, and got the heck out of there before I stepped on someone.

Purgatoire by Johnny D. Boggs - I had never heard tell of this western author until a few weeks ago when he did an impromptu interview on Diabolical Radio. The guy sounded very personable and has a heck of a lot of credentials. I think a guy as prolific in the genre can be reasonably trusted to spin a good yarn.

Malice by Lisa Jackson - An '09 release, which I wasn't expecting to see since most titles are at least a few years old at those sales. Sounds like a supernatural thriller. It's about a widowed detective who remarries, then starts seeing apparitions of his dead wife, and then the killings start. Jackson's name is always popping up on that NYT bestseller list, so she must be doing something right.

And that's how February shaped up in my book hunting exploits. Have you had a chance to read any of the books listed above? If so, feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought of it/them.


  1. The Toy Box and Pines look really good.

  2. LIVE GIRLS is still available in paperback from Leisure Books, and it's also available as an ebook on Amazon (from E-Reads).

    I hope you enjoy BESTIAL. It's the sequel to RAVENOUS, which was published the previous year. BESTIAL includes two characters who first appeared in NIGHT LIFE, which is the sequel to LIVE GIRLS, and kind of links the four books into a loosely connected series. My next book will solidify that series by bringing together the vampires of LIVE GIRLS and NIGHT LIFE and the werewolves of RAVENOUS and BESTIAL, as well as characters from those books.

    Okay, end of shameless pimping. I hope you enjoy the book.

  3. I hope you enjoy all three of the Pine Deep novels once you have them. I had a delcious time writing them!

    -Jonathan Maberry

  4. Ryan G - They do and it's going to be a bugger to juggle my TBR pile with his latest haul.

    Ray Garton - Pimp away, sir. You reminded me that I must watch out for Ravenous as well. Best of luck with Scissors too, plus the non-horror novel you've written.

    Jonathan Maberry - Well, I sure liked the first, so fingers crossed on the next two (Dead Man's Song just arrived in the mail today). And congrats on the Stoker nomination for Patient Zero.

  5. I recently got into Ray Garton books, great stuff!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...