January 13, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #29: Tender Morsels

I get a kick out of new and interesting twists on classic tales. I previously cited my interest in Frank Breddor's take on Alice in Wonderland with his novel, The Looking Glass Wars. And I rather enjoyed Gregory Maguire's Wicked and his entertaining twist on The Wizard of Oz. So Margo Lanagan's Tender Morsels, while not directly borrowing from a classic fairy tale, does apparently borrow some of those fables to build her own world and throw in some very interesting characters.

From what I gather, the story deals with an abused young woman who is given a new life in her own personal heaven thanks to a sympathetic witch. As after she has two daughters who reach adolescence, her world is threatened when the borders between it and the real world weaken and allow some ominous characters to enter and threaten everything she holds dear.

That sounds like some potentially good reading. Throw in some talking bears and I'm sold. The novel is supposedly quite lyrical and poetic with the language and is one of the more "mature" young adult novels of the past year. Like many, I've come to enjoy quite a few YA novels in spite of my relatively advanced age. I hope should I get a chance to read Tender Morsels any time soon, I'll have as positive response to it as some of the reviews for it I've read.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I'm into 'now here's for something completely different'

    Thank you for sharing



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...