January 6, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #28: "The Knife of Never Letting Go"

If nothing else, the title of this Patrick Ness novel makes me want it on my bookshelf. That's an attention grabber, ladies and gentlemen. Beyond the title of the book, however, there's a story within the book's pages that sounds too good to pass up.

The story deals with a boy coming of age in a world where everyone can hear each other's thoughts, after a less than happy meeting with alien invaders (or visitors). Even dogs can talk to humans now, apparently. Women are also very scarce for some reason in this world, as the boy is raised by two men like most children. Turns out that the alien virus enabling telepathy also killed just about all women. The boy's life is stressful and frightful enough, but then discovers a patch of land where he's sheltered from the thoughts of everyone around him and can be content in utter silence for a time. He worries, however, what might happen should others discover this oasis exists. That, my friends, sounds like an intriguing tale.

Not only that, I find out it's the first book of a trilogy called Chaos Walking. The second installment, The Ask and the Answer, hit shelves last year. And then the big finish for the trilogy comes out this year in the form of Monsters of Men. Before I get to either of those titles though, I need to get my hands on The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Have you had a chance to read this book? Is it as good a read as it sounds?


  1. I haven't read it, but I'm definetely putting it on my TBR list. Sounds awesome.

  2. It does, doesn't it. And from what I gather, the sequel is as good as this one.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...