January 18, 2010

Golden Globes Got It Right ... Mostly

I ended up watching the Golden Globes last night, for the second year in a row no less. I tend to steer away from awards shows because of the tedium they are notorious for, but the Globes are a tad more casual--or artificially so--and the time passes much quicker with a book in my lap. Three hours of garish gloaters and lackluster luminaries, punctuated by the occasional meritorious moment, is more palatable when complimented by a rewarding activity like reading.

I thought Ricky Gervais did a very good job as the night's host. I'm not sure what the gig entails backstage, but it looks like an incredibly easy task so long as you're personable and affable. Walk out onstage a half-dozen times through the broadcast, tell a joke, introduce the presenters, and scoop up as much swag as you can carry at the end of the night. Sign me up.

The ballroom setting looked much more attractive than the theater setting of the Oscars. Mainly because the winners have to run a gauntlet half the time just to get to the stage. Jonathan Lithgow practically had to step across dinner tables when he won his award for his stint on Dexter--did they seat him next to the washrooms?

I don't watch the tabloid shows (Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, etc.), so I don't know who was decreed as "best dressed," but I though that Kate Hudson and Reese Witherspoon each looked incredible. Halle Berry may have stolen the show in the glamorous department, though. Then there were others, as every year, who looked like wildebeests gaudily gift wrapped, but I won't name names.

As for the winners, I was happy to see The Hangover win Best Comedy. Sandra Bullock's win came as a bit of a surprise, but I can't say it was a terrible choice. And while I'm a fan of Robert Downey Jr., I was really surprised and pleased that he won for Sherlock Holmes--it must be a better movie than I first gave it credit for. I haven't seen Glee yet, so I can't hate on them for beating out 30 Rock. Besides, any show with Jane Lynch deserves some credit. I think the moment of the night had to be Jeff Bridges' win for Best Actor. The man is a class act, has a resume that should be the envy of 99% of Hollywood's actors, and seems to have put in a definitive performance this year with Crazy Heart.

Avatar took home Best Drama, with James Cameron snagging Best Director too? Alright, if you say so. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it felt like those awards rewarded box office power rather than superior achievement. I could be wrong.

And line of the night? "I like a drink as much as the next man ... unless the next man is Mel Gibson."

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...